About Brigham City Family Support Center
The Brigham City Family Support Center (BEFSC) is located at 276 N 200 E in Brigham City, Utah. Our mission is "Strengthening Families Now and for the Future.” Our purpose is to prevent the occurrence and/or re-occurrence of child abuse and family conflict. We have been in existence since February 1995 and have provided Crisis/Respite Nursery and Parent Advocate Programs since our opening. We added the Family Therapy Program in 1997. Our center is a member of the Utah Association of Family Support Centers.
The BEFSC’s services are available to the 16,077 households in Box Elder County. These services are FREE of charge and are available to families from all cultures, religions, ethnicities, and income levels. Our core services to prevent child abuse and family conflict are described below:
- Crisis/Respite/Shelter Nursery: Our Crisis/Respite Nursery is available free of charge to all families in Box Elder County with children ages birth through eleven. Nursery services are available when families have an emergency or crisis and need a safe place for their children to stay. The Nursery is also available for parents who just need a “time-out and/or who are participating in other services at our facility, such as parenting classes or therapy. In addition, the nursery also serves as a child abuse shelter for the Division of Child and Family Services. Our nursery is available 24 hours per day, seven days a week for emergencies and is licensed by the Department of Human Services.
- Family Life Education Services:
- The BEFSC’s Parent Advocate/In-home Visiting Program provides home visiting services and referral/resource information to families in Box Elder County. Our professional home visitors assist parents with a variety of interventions designed to increase the parent's ability to provide a nurturing atmosphere for their children.
- Parent Education Classes are offered on an ongoing basis. Our parenting class curriculum includes the Nurturing Program, by Dr. Stephen J. Bavolek; Becoming a Love and Logic Parent, by Jim and Charles Fay, Ph.D. and Foster W. Cline, M.D; the Smart Steps Program (designed for step families), by Francesca Adler-Baeder; and the Strengthening Families Program from Iowa State University. Free childcare is available in the Nursery during all classes.
- American Red Cross Babysitting Class is offered for youth over 11 years of age. This class provides young caregivers with the tools needed to safely provide childcare in our community and is a precursor to their ability to develop nurturing parenting skills in the future.
- Therapy Services: Our Family Therapy Program offers families a more intensive approach to increasing their ability to care for their children. This service is free to families who do not have Medicaid or private insurance. Child care is available during sessions. Our therapist also provides consultations and oversight to our Nursery and Parent Advocate Staff.
- Other Services Offered: Our center has a wonderful lending library that is available to any resident of Box Elder County. We have books, videos, and cassette tapes on a variety of topics relating to family dynamics. We also offer a Speaker’s Bureau to any community organization in the county seeking knowledge about our Center and/or pertinent family issues.
We also have a Facebook page where we post all of our current events and things that happen in our community. You can access our page HERE!